10 Recruitment Insights From Amsterdam’s #iRecruitExpo
For two days last week, the good (and some great) people from the world of recruitment, talent and HR descended on the RAI in Amsterdam, for the annual iRecruit Conference. It was an enjoyable and well organised conference, and one I would recommend looking out for next year. It was well attended, but why weren’t there more industry professionals there? It is the biggest recruitment conference in Europe and still there is apathy towards attending these types of events. Madness if you ask me!
There was way too much content to share, so instead I thought I would share ten insights I had from the two days, from the speakers and sessions I chose to watch and listen to.
- “Recruitment (big) data should be about the insights it gives not the actual reports themselves” - @TheRecruiterGuy aka Chris Hoyt, Global Talent & Marketing Leader at PepsiCo. < My favourite quote from the two days.
- “ATS databases are candidate graveyards” - @jerometernynck aka Jerome Ternynck, Founder & CEO SmartRecruiters < context: from a recruitment perspective!
- “You can’t train people to be smart” - @vlastelica aka JohnVlastelica Founder & CEO of Recruiting Toolbox
- L’Oreal have a try/fail/try approach to new social platforms for recruiting. They reach their audience with innovative content. If they try a new platform a couple of times and it doesn’t work for them, then they park it and move on.
- Current employees of Google are called Googlers. Newbies at Google are called Nooglers and people who have left Google are called Zooglers. Made me smile during Mary Hamershock’s closing Keynote on day 1.
- “The competency model used by many companies is static - it is about the competencies of today, NOT tomorrow.” Via Peter Baker, Global Head of Learning & Development, Maersk Line.
- “Everyone has a story to tell” via @FredScav aka Frederique Scavennec, Global VP Talent Acquisition, L’Oreal. Simple but brilliant image message about story telling here:
- “Most ATS vendors are selling you the past - we are in the future now!” via @jerometernynck . Think about some of the technology vendors are trying to sell you every week - this statement is spot on! Product roadmaps with social and mobile are no good - they should be in the products now.
- “The best candidates expect to be approached. So what are you doing about that?” via @MatthewJeffery , Global Head of Talent Strategy & Innovation, SAP AG.
- “80% of people we hire applied for our jobs within the first 30 days” via @TheRecruiterGuy aka Chris Hoyt, Global Talent & Marketing Leader at PepsiCo.
There was obviously much more content from the two days, but these were some of my favourite snippets that resonated with me.
Are there any of these that ring true with you and your company?
Remember: If you like reading this blog and don’t want to miss a post, you can subscribe by RSS here to receive the latest updates the minute they come out.
Call us Today
Subscribe By Email To Receive The Latest Blog Posts
Work With Andy
Hi I am Andy Headworth, the author of this blog and, and my NEW book 'Social Media Recruitment - How To Successfully Integrate Social Media Into Recruitment Strategy' (May 2015 release). I help companies leverage social media and technology to improve their recruitment strategy, recruitment process and recruitment marketing. Recently named in the "Top 100 Most Social HR Leaders on Twitter" by The Huffington Post, and "50 Most Popular Recruiting Influencers on Twitter" by ERE/LeadTail.
Check out my recent social media film for the BBC
How can I help you improve your recruitment? Call me on 01903 206249 or email me today.
*NEW* Social Recruiting Tips Videos
'How To Video' Introduction from Andy Headworth on Vimeo.
Actually very useful > A 5-Minute Guide to Writing an Amazing LinkedIn Recommendation https://t.co/XGmd8rggCU.
Have a great Sunday RT @sbrownehr: @KateGL @SimonHeath1 @andyheadworth @saraheadworth @martincouzins @fuchsia_blue @HRpotential @RafaDavies
Loves this post >> What to Blog About: 13 Places to Find Fresh Blog Topics https://t.co/hZrYvCmtdu
Hiring for Growth? Here are 10 Twitter Accounts You Need to Follow https://t.co/gG0wPnXOVx via @clinch
Loving my new Apple watch 😀 https://t.co/SYcvzMQVCd